If the dual of a module is finitely generated and projective, can we claim that the module itself is?When $operatornameHom_R(M,N)$ is finitely generated as $mathbb Z$-module or $R$-module?Prove that if $P$ and $Q$ are projective and finitely generated $R$-modules then $operatornameHom_R(P,Q)$ is projective and finitely generated.On the existence of finitely generated modules with finite injective dimensionA question about finitely generated projective modulesWhen is the localization of a commutative ring a finitely generated projective module?Finitely generated Hom moduleShowing a module is finitely generated and projectiveAn isomorphism concerned about any finitely generated projective moduleprojective module which is a submodule of a finitely generated free moduleDual basis for projective module

How to deal with or prevent idle in the test team?

What to do when my ideas aren't chosen, when I strongly disagree with the chosen solution?

How to prevent YouTube from showing already watched videos?

Blender - show edges angles “direction”

Should my PhD thesis be submitted under my legal name?

Can a malicious addon access internet history and such in chrome/firefox?

Identify a stage play about a VR experience in which participants are encouraged to simulate performing horrific activities

For airliners, what prevents wing strikes on landing in bad weather?

Is it legal to discriminate due to the medicine used to treat a medical condition?

What (else) happened July 1st 1858 in London?

Latex for-and in equation

Could solar power be utilized and substitute coal in the 19th century?

Have I saved too much for retirement so far?

How do I repair my stair bannister?

Why are on-board computers allowed to change controls without notifying the pilots?

Can I Retrieve Email Addresses from BCC?

Resetting two CD4017 counters simultaneously, only one resets

Pronouncing Homer as in modern Greek

What is Sitecore Managed Cloud?

Why does this part of the Space Shuttle launch pad seem to be floating in air?

What will be the benefits of Brexit?

Java - What do constructor type arguments mean when placed *before* the type?

I2C signal and power over long range (10meter cable)

Bob has never been a M before



If the dual of a module is finitely generated and projective, can we claim that the module itself is?


When $operatornameHom_R(M,N)$ is finitely generated as $mathbb Z$-module or $R$-module?Prove that if $P$ and $Q$ are projective and finitely generated $R$-modules then $operatornameHom_R(P,Q)$ is projective and finitely generated.On the existence of finitely generated modules with finite injective dimensionA question about finitely generated projective modulesWhen is the localization of a commutative ring a finitely generated projective module?Finitely generated Hom moduleShowing a module is finitely generated and projectiveAn isomorphism concerned about any finitely generated projective moduleprojective module which is a submodule of a finitely generated free moduleDual basis for projective module













4












$begingroup$


Assume that $R$ is a commutative ring and that $M$ is a (left) $R$-module. Assume also that we know for some reason that $M^*:=mathsfHom_R(M,R)$ is finitely generated and projective as (right) $R$-module. Can we claim that $M$ itself is finitely generated and projective?



It is well-known that the converse is true, but I am able neither to prove nor to disprove the foregoing implication.



Of course, $M^**$ is finitely generated and projective, but in general the canonical morphism $j:Mto M^**$ is not injective, whence I don't know how to use this fact. Can somebody give me a hint, either in proving the statement or in finding a counterexample?










share|cite|improve this question









$endgroup$
















    4












    $begingroup$


    Assume that $R$ is a commutative ring and that $M$ is a (left) $R$-module. Assume also that we know for some reason that $M^*:=mathsfHom_R(M,R)$ is finitely generated and projective as (right) $R$-module. Can we claim that $M$ itself is finitely generated and projective?



    It is well-known that the converse is true, but I am able neither to prove nor to disprove the foregoing implication.



    Of course, $M^**$ is finitely generated and projective, but in general the canonical morphism $j:Mto M^**$ is not injective, whence I don't know how to use this fact. Can somebody give me a hint, either in proving the statement or in finding a counterexample?










    share|cite|improve this question









    $endgroup$














      4












      4








      4





      $begingroup$


      Assume that $R$ is a commutative ring and that $M$ is a (left) $R$-module. Assume also that we know for some reason that $M^*:=mathsfHom_R(M,R)$ is finitely generated and projective as (right) $R$-module. Can we claim that $M$ itself is finitely generated and projective?



      It is well-known that the converse is true, but I am able neither to prove nor to disprove the foregoing implication.



      Of course, $M^**$ is finitely generated and projective, but in general the canonical morphism $j:Mto M^**$ is not injective, whence I don't know how to use this fact. Can somebody give me a hint, either in proving the statement or in finding a counterexample?










      share|cite|improve this question









      $endgroup$




      Assume that $R$ is a commutative ring and that $M$ is a (left) $R$-module. Assume also that we know for some reason that $M^*:=mathsfHom_R(M,R)$ is finitely generated and projective as (right) $R$-module. Can we claim that $M$ itself is finitely generated and projective?



      It is well-known that the converse is true, but I am able neither to prove nor to disprove the foregoing implication.



      Of course, $M^**$ is finitely generated and projective, but in general the canonical morphism $j:Mto M^**$ is not injective, whence I don't know how to use this fact. Can somebody give me a hint, either in proving the statement or in finding a counterexample?







      commutative-algebra duality-theorems projective-module






      share|cite|improve this question













      share|cite|improve this question











      share|cite|improve this question




      share|cite|improve this question










      asked 10 hours ago









      Ender WigginsEnder Wiggins

      865421




      865421




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          5












          $begingroup$

          If $operatornameHom_R(M,R)=M^*$ is finitely generated and projective, then $R^ncong M^*oplus N$, so we have
          $$
          M^**oplus N^*cong R^n
          $$

          so $M^**$ is finitely generated and projective. Unfortunately, the canonical homomorphism $Mto M^**$ is neither injective nor surjective, in general.



          A trivial example is $M=mathbbQ$, with $R=mathbbZ$. You can complicate the situation at will.



          Just to give the flavor, suppose $R$ is a PID and that $M$ is finitely generated. Then $M^*$ is finitely generated and free: you lose all information about the torsion part, when doing the dual.






          share|cite|improve this answer











          $endgroup$












          • $begingroup$
            Thanks egreg but I am afraid I didn't get your point. Why $mathbbQ^*$ should be finitely generated and projective as $mathbbZ$-module? If I am not mistaken, an element in $mathbbQ^*$ is uniquely determined by its images over the rationals of the form $frac1p$ for $p$ prime, isn't it?
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago






          • 2




            $begingroup$
            @EnderWiggins The dual is $0$. Don't confuse notations.
            $endgroup$
            – egreg
            9 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Oh, you're right, my bad. I realized it just know. Thanks.
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago










          Your Answer





          StackExchange.ifUsing("editor", function ()
          return StackExchange.using("mathjaxEditing", function ()
          StackExchange.MarkdownEditor.creationCallbacks.add(function (editor, postfix)
          StackExchange.mathjaxEditing.prepareWmdForMathJax(editor, postfix, [["$", "$"], ["\\(","\\)"]]);
          );
          );
          , "mathjax-editing");

          StackExchange.ready(function()
          var channelOptions =
          tags: "".split(" "),
          id: "69"
          ;
          initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

          StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
          // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
          if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
          StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
          createEditor();
          );

          else
          createEditor();

          );

          function createEditor()
          StackExchange.prepareEditor(
          heartbeatType: 'answer',
          autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
          convertImagesToLinks: true,
          noModals: true,
          showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
          reputationToPostImages: 10,
          bindNavPrevention: true,
          postfix: "",
          imageUploader:
          brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
          contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
          allowUrls: true
          ,
          noCode: true, onDemand: true,
          discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
          ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
          );



          );













          draft saved

          draft discarded


















          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3161967%2fif-the-dual-of-a-module-is-finitely-generated-and-projective-can-we-claim-that%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown

























          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes








          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes









          active

          oldest

          votes






          active

          oldest

          votes









          5












          $begingroup$

          If $operatornameHom_R(M,R)=M^*$ is finitely generated and projective, then $R^ncong M^*oplus N$, so we have
          $$
          M^**oplus N^*cong R^n
          $$

          so $M^**$ is finitely generated and projective. Unfortunately, the canonical homomorphism $Mto M^**$ is neither injective nor surjective, in general.



          A trivial example is $M=mathbbQ$, with $R=mathbbZ$. You can complicate the situation at will.



          Just to give the flavor, suppose $R$ is a PID and that $M$ is finitely generated. Then $M^*$ is finitely generated and free: you lose all information about the torsion part, when doing the dual.






          share|cite|improve this answer











          $endgroup$












          • $begingroup$
            Thanks egreg but I am afraid I didn't get your point. Why $mathbbQ^*$ should be finitely generated and projective as $mathbbZ$-module? If I am not mistaken, an element in $mathbbQ^*$ is uniquely determined by its images over the rationals of the form $frac1p$ for $p$ prime, isn't it?
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago






          • 2




            $begingroup$
            @EnderWiggins The dual is $0$. Don't confuse notations.
            $endgroup$
            – egreg
            9 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Oh, you're right, my bad. I realized it just know. Thanks.
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago















          5












          $begingroup$

          If $operatornameHom_R(M,R)=M^*$ is finitely generated and projective, then $R^ncong M^*oplus N$, so we have
          $$
          M^**oplus N^*cong R^n
          $$

          so $M^**$ is finitely generated and projective. Unfortunately, the canonical homomorphism $Mto M^**$ is neither injective nor surjective, in general.



          A trivial example is $M=mathbbQ$, with $R=mathbbZ$. You can complicate the situation at will.



          Just to give the flavor, suppose $R$ is a PID and that $M$ is finitely generated. Then $M^*$ is finitely generated and free: you lose all information about the torsion part, when doing the dual.






          share|cite|improve this answer











          $endgroup$












          • $begingroup$
            Thanks egreg but I am afraid I didn't get your point. Why $mathbbQ^*$ should be finitely generated and projective as $mathbbZ$-module? If I am not mistaken, an element in $mathbbQ^*$ is uniquely determined by its images over the rationals of the form $frac1p$ for $p$ prime, isn't it?
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago






          • 2




            $begingroup$
            @EnderWiggins The dual is $0$. Don't confuse notations.
            $endgroup$
            – egreg
            9 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Oh, you're right, my bad. I realized it just know. Thanks.
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago













          5












          5








          5





          $begingroup$

          If $operatornameHom_R(M,R)=M^*$ is finitely generated and projective, then $R^ncong M^*oplus N$, so we have
          $$
          M^**oplus N^*cong R^n
          $$

          so $M^**$ is finitely generated and projective. Unfortunately, the canonical homomorphism $Mto M^**$ is neither injective nor surjective, in general.



          A trivial example is $M=mathbbQ$, with $R=mathbbZ$. You can complicate the situation at will.



          Just to give the flavor, suppose $R$ is a PID and that $M$ is finitely generated. Then $M^*$ is finitely generated and free: you lose all information about the torsion part, when doing the dual.






          share|cite|improve this answer











          $endgroup$



          If $operatornameHom_R(M,R)=M^*$ is finitely generated and projective, then $R^ncong M^*oplus N$, so we have
          $$
          M^**oplus N^*cong R^n
          $$

          so $M^**$ is finitely generated and projective. Unfortunately, the canonical homomorphism $Mto M^**$ is neither injective nor surjective, in general.



          A trivial example is $M=mathbbQ$, with $R=mathbbZ$. You can complicate the situation at will.



          Just to give the flavor, suppose $R$ is a PID and that $M$ is finitely generated. Then $M^*$ is finitely generated and free: you lose all information about the torsion part, when doing the dual.







          share|cite|improve this answer














          share|cite|improve this answer



          share|cite|improve this answer








          edited 9 hours ago

























          answered 9 hours ago









          egregegreg

          185k1486206




          185k1486206











          • $begingroup$
            Thanks egreg but I am afraid I didn't get your point. Why $mathbbQ^*$ should be finitely generated and projective as $mathbbZ$-module? If I am not mistaken, an element in $mathbbQ^*$ is uniquely determined by its images over the rationals of the form $frac1p$ for $p$ prime, isn't it?
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago






          • 2




            $begingroup$
            @EnderWiggins The dual is $0$. Don't confuse notations.
            $endgroup$
            – egreg
            9 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Oh, you're right, my bad. I realized it just know. Thanks.
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago
















          • $begingroup$
            Thanks egreg but I am afraid I didn't get your point. Why $mathbbQ^*$ should be finitely generated and projective as $mathbbZ$-module? If I am not mistaken, an element in $mathbbQ^*$ is uniquely determined by its images over the rationals of the form $frac1p$ for $p$ prime, isn't it?
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago






          • 2




            $begingroup$
            @EnderWiggins The dual is $0$. Don't confuse notations.
            $endgroup$
            – egreg
            9 hours ago











          • $begingroup$
            Oh, you're right, my bad. I realized it just know. Thanks.
            $endgroup$
            – Ender Wiggins
            9 hours ago















          $begingroup$
          Thanks egreg but I am afraid I didn't get your point. Why $mathbbQ^*$ should be finitely generated and projective as $mathbbZ$-module? If I am not mistaken, an element in $mathbbQ^*$ is uniquely determined by its images over the rationals of the form $frac1p$ for $p$ prime, isn't it?
          $endgroup$
          – Ender Wiggins
          9 hours ago




          $begingroup$
          Thanks egreg but I am afraid I didn't get your point. Why $mathbbQ^*$ should be finitely generated and projective as $mathbbZ$-module? If I am not mistaken, an element in $mathbbQ^*$ is uniquely determined by its images over the rationals of the form $frac1p$ for $p$ prime, isn't it?
          $endgroup$
          – Ender Wiggins
          9 hours ago




          2




          2




          $begingroup$
          @EnderWiggins The dual is $0$. Don't confuse notations.
          $endgroup$
          – egreg
          9 hours ago





          $begingroup$
          @EnderWiggins The dual is $0$. Don't confuse notations.
          $endgroup$
          – egreg
          9 hours ago













          $begingroup$
          Oh, you're right, my bad. I realized it just know. Thanks.
          $endgroup$
          – Ender Wiggins
          9 hours ago




          $begingroup$
          Oh, you're right, my bad. I realized it just know. Thanks.
          $endgroup$
          – Ender Wiggins
          9 hours ago

















          draft saved

          draft discarded
















































          Thanks for contributing an answer to Mathematics Stack Exchange!


          • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

          But avoid …


          • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

          • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

          Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.


          To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




          draft saved


          draft discarded














          StackExchange.ready(
          function ()
          StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fmath.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f3161967%2fif-the-dual-of-a-module-is-finitely-generated-and-projective-can-we-claim-that%23new-answer', 'question_page');

          );

          Post as a guest















          Required, but never shown





















































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown

































          Required, but never shown














          Required, but never shown












          Required, but never shown







          Required, but never shown







          Popular posts from this blog

          The Calvary Singular or Plural The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are InAre collective nouns always plural, or are certain ones singular?Is “audience” singular or plural?“Wasn't” vs. “weren't” in a vernacular sentence“My last couple of years” — singular or plural?Is 'rest' singular or plural?Is “all but one” singular or plural?Whether to use the singular or plural form of basis?Singular and Plural for numbersIs there a plural form of teeth?performance: plural vs singular?singular or plural nouns?Singular and Plural

          How does one intimidate enemies without having the capacity for violence?Ideas for how aliens would approach this fight?How to convey the scale of my humanoid without science or units?How does the “space drive” conserve momentum?Planet Vanishes - How does this affect the orbiting starships?How does a community of a Universe Simulator have the same language as its creator?How would US Presidential elections be affected if voters could choose the state their vote for President was counted in?How Does One Ensures the Immortality of Their ConsciousnessHow do I retain national independence while also having a one world government?How can Ganymede have an Earth-like gravity without us having realized it?How would one make a lion mount for a fantasy world?

          Output visual diagram of pictureASCII-art logic gate diagramBooks on a ShelfDetermine the Dimensions of a Rotated RectangleDraw a Houndstooth PatternDraw and label an ASCII hexagonal gridGolf me an ASCII AlphabetASCII Jigsaw PuzzleOutput a pretty boxASCII-Art Venn DiagramASCII Exact Cover with Rectangles