using past perfect in a 'by the time' clause instead of simple past Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara Planned maintenance scheduled April 23, 2019 at 23:30 UTC (7:30pm US/Eastern)Should the past perfect be eschewed?Simple past vs. Past perfectSimple past or past perfect in this examplePast Perfect and gerund vs. Past Perfect and Simple PastPast perfect or past simple in combination with present perfect?Simple past vs. past perfectSimple past vs past perfectTense simplification in subordinate clauses - past perfect instead of would havePast Perfect or Past Simple in the sentence where there are two eventsHad never had/never had - past perfect vs simple past

Why is it faster to reheat something than it is to cook it?

A term for a woman complaining about things/begging in a cute/childish way

How to save space when writing equations with cases?

Central Vacuuming: Is it worth it, and how does it compare to normal vacuuming?

Co-worker has annoying ringtone

Flight departed from the gate 5 min before scheduled departure time. Refund options

How many time has Arya actually used Needle?

Is there any word for a place full of confusion?

Why are my pictures showing a dark band on one edge?

Has negative voting ever been officially implemented in elections, or seriously proposed, or even studied?

Project Euler #1 in C++

Sum letters are not two different

How does Belgium enforce obligatory attendance in elections?

Significance of Cersei's obsession with elephants?

What does Turing mean by this statement?

Girl Hackers - Logic Puzzle

Strange behavior of Object.defineProperty() in JavaScript

Is there hard evidence that the grant peer review system performs significantly better than random?

How can I prevent/balance waiting and turtling as a response to cooldown mechanics

How much damage would a cupful of neutron star matter do to the Earth?

Do I really need to have a message in a novel to appeal to readers?

An adverb for when you're not exaggerating

Is there public access to the Meteor Crater in Arizona?

Why do early math courses focus on the cross sections of a cone and not on other 3D objects?



using past perfect in a 'by the time' clause instead of simple past



Announcing the arrival of Valued Associate #679: Cesar Manara
Planned maintenance scheduled April 23, 2019 at 23:30 UTC (7:30pm US/Eastern)Should the past perfect be eschewed?Simple past vs. Past perfectSimple past or past perfect in this examplePast Perfect and gerund vs. Past Perfect and Simple PastPast perfect or past simple in combination with present perfect?Simple past vs. past perfectSimple past vs past perfectTense simplification in subordinate clauses - past perfect instead of would havePast Perfect or Past Simple in the sentence where there are two eventsHad never had/never had - past perfect vs simple past



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;








2















How would using past perfect in a 'by the time' clause affect the meaning differently from using the common formula (past simple in the 'by the time clause' plus past perfect in the main clause). For example, what could the following mean?




By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed.











share|improve this question
















bumped to the homepage by Community♦ 30 mins ago


This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.





















    2















    How would using past perfect in a 'by the time' clause affect the meaning differently from using the common formula (past simple in the 'by the time clause' plus past perfect in the main clause). For example, what could the following mean?




    By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed.











    share|improve this question
















    bumped to the homepage by Community♦ 30 mins ago


    This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.

















      2












      2








      2


      1






      How would using past perfect in a 'by the time' clause affect the meaning differently from using the common formula (past simple in the 'by the time clause' plus past perfect in the main clause). For example, what could the following mean?




      By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed.











      share|improve this question
















      How would using past perfect in a 'by the time' clause affect the meaning differently from using the common formula (past simple in the 'by the time clause' plus past perfect in the main clause). For example, what could the following mean?




      By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed.








      simple-past-vs-past-perfect






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Aug 9 '15 at 5:26









      Sven Yargs

      115k20252508




      115k20252508










      asked Mar 13 '14 at 8:40









      niabniab

      1324616




      1324616





      bumped to the homepage by Community♦ 30 mins ago


      This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.







      bumped to the homepage by Community♦ 30 mins ago


      This question has answers that may be good or bad; the system has marked it active so that they can be reviewed.






















          3 Answers
          3






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          0














          Firstly, I didn't know that what I've always called "pluperfect" is now usually called "past perfect", so thank you for highlighting that for me.



          My understanding of the question is that you are examining the difference between these two sentences:



          1. "By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed."

          2. "By the time he finished dinner, it was time for bed."

          I would say that there is very little difference between the two. I would infer a little more finality from the first one, in that dinner was definitely over and done with, and that he had left the table. The second would suggest to me that he had just finished eating. Hence, I would say that the past perfect version implies more completeness to the activity than the second. But as I said, the difference feels minuscule to me.



          It's an interesting question though and, like WS2, I'd be interested to read other people's take on this.






          share|improve this answer























          • You are not the only one who thinks of the so-called "past-perfect" as "the pluperfect"!

            – WS2
            Oct 22 '18 at 7:00


















          0














          The past perfect is used to talk about the order of events in the past. Your sentence means that in the past, he finished dinner and that when he finished dinner it was time for bed. Maybe it took him 3 hours to eat dinner and he finished at 11pm. The fist event is eating dinner, the second is bed time.



          If you say "by the time he finished dinner it was time for bed," the idea of past order isn't really there as much.



          The difference in meaning is minuscule. Using "by the time" just introduces another time phrase in the sentence. You could just as well say "when he..."






          share|improve this answer






























            -1














            Are you asking what is the difference in meaning between the two following sentences?



            1)'By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed.



            2) 'By the time he finished dinner, it had been time for bed'



            There is a third possibility and that is to use the past perfect in both clauses.



            3) By the time he had finished dinner, it had been time for bed.



            There probably isn't much difference in meaning between any of them. If I was speaking about last night, I think I would use the first. But were I talking about something that happened a year ago, I think I would use the third.



            I can't think of circumstances in which I would use the second. But this is a matter on which I feel very open to others' opinions.






            share|improve this answer

























              Your Answer








              StackExchange.ready(function()
              var channelOptions =
              tags: "".split(" "),
              id: "97"
              ;
              initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

              StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
              // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
              if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
              StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
              createEditor();
              );

              else
              createEditor();

              );

              function createEditor()
              StackExchange.prepareEditor(
              heartbeatType: 'answer',
              autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
              convertImagesToLinks: false,
              noModals: true,
              showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
              reputationToPostImages: null,
              bindNavPrevention: true,
              postfix: "",
              imageUploader:
              brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
              contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
              allowUrls: true
              ,
              noCode: true, onDemand: true,
              discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
              ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
              );



              );













              draft saved

              draft discarded


















              StackExchange.ready(
              function ()
              StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f157177%2fusing-past-perfect-in-a-by-the-time-clause-instead-of-simple-past%23new-answer', 'question_page');

              );

              Post as a guest















              Required, but never shown

























              3 Answers
              3






              active

              oldest

              votes








              3 Answers
              3






              active

              oldest

              votes









              active

              oldest

              votes






              active

              oldest

              votes









              0














              Firstly, I didn't know that what I've always called "pluperfect" is now usually called "past perfect", so thank you for highlighting that for me.



              My understanding of the question is that you are examining the difference between these two sentences:



              1. "By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed."

              2. "By the time he finished dinner, it was time for bed."

              I would say that there is very little difference between the two. I would infer a little more finality from the first one, in that dinner was definitely over and done with, and that he had left the table. The second would suggest to me that he had just finished eating. Hence, I would say that the past perfect version implies more completeness to the activity than the second. But as I said, the difference feels minuscule to me.



              It's an interesting question though and, like WS2, I'd be interested to read other people's take on this.






              share|improve this answer























              • You are not the only one who thinks of the so-called "past-perfect" as "the pluperfect"!

                – WS2
                Oct 22 '18 at 7:00















              0














              Firstly, I didn't know that what I've always called "pluperfect" is now usually called "past perfect", so thank you for highlighting that for me.



              My understanding of the question is that you are examining the difference between these two sentences:



              1. "By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed."

              2. "By the time he finished dinner, it was time for bed."

              I would say that there is very little difference between the two. I would infer a little more finality from the first one, in that dinner was definitely over and done with, and that he had left the table. The second would suggest to me that he had just finished eating. Hence, I would say that the past perfect version implies more completeness to the activity than the second. But as I said, the difference feels minuscule to me.



              It's an interesting question though and, like WS2, I'd be interested to read other people's take on this.






              share|improve this answer























              • You are not the only one who thinks of the so-called "past-perfect" as "the pluperfect"!

                – WS2
                Oct 22 '18 at 7:00













              0












              0








              0







              Firstly, I didn't know that what I've always called "pluperfect" is now usually called "past perfect", so thank you for highlighting that for me.



              My understanding of the question is that you are examining the difference between these two sentences:



              1. "By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed."

              2. "By the time he finished dinner, it was time for bed."

              I would say that there is very little difference between the two. I would infer a little more finality from the first one, in that dinner was definitely over and done with, and that he had left the table. The second would suggest to me that he had just finished eating. Hence, I would say that the past perfect version implies more completeness to the activity than the second. But as I said, the difference feels minuscule to me.



              It's an interesting question though and, like WS2, I'd be interested to read other people's take on this.






              share|improve this answer













              Firstly, I didn't know that what I've always called "pluperfect" is now usually called "past perfect", so thank you for highlighting that for me.



              My understanding of the question is that you are examining the difference between these two sentences:



              1. "By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed."

              2. "By the time he finished dinner, it was time for bed."

              I would say that there is very little difference between the two. I would infer a little more finality from the first one, in that dinner was definitely over and done with, and that he had left the table. The second would suggest to me that he had just finished eating. Hence, I would say that the past perfect version implies more completeness to the activity than the second. But as I said, the difference feels minuscule to me.



              It's an interesting question though and, like WS2, I'd be interested to read other people's take on this.







              share|improve this answer












              share|improve this answer



              share|improve this answer










              answered Mar 13 '14 at 10:00









              Phil M JonesPhil M Jones

              5,40111121




              5,40111121












              • You are not the only one who thinks of the so-called "past-perfect" as "the pluperfect"!

                – WS2
                Oct 22 '18 at 7:00

















              • You are not the only one who thinks of the so-called "past-perfect" as "the pluperfect"!

                – WS2
                Oct 22 '18 at 7:00
















              You are not the only one who thinks of the so-called "past-perfect" as "the pluperfect"!

              – WS2
              Oct 22 '18 at 7:00





              You are not the only one who thinks of the so-called "past-perfect" as "the pluperfect"!

              – WS2
              Oct 22 '18 at 7:00













              0














              The past perfect is used to talk about the order of events in the past. Your sentence means that in the past, he finished dinner and that when he finished dinner it was time for bed. Maybe it took him 3 hours to eat dinner and he finished at 11pm. The fist event is eating dinner, the second is bed time.



              If you say "by the time he finished dinner it was time for bed," the idea of past order isn't really there as much.



              The difference in meaning is minuscule. Using "by the time" just introduces another time phrase in the sentence. You could just as well say "when he..."






              share|improve this answer



























                0














                The past perfect is used to talk about the order of events in the past. Your sentence means that in the past, he finished dinner and that when he finished dinner it was time for bed. Maybe it took him 3 hours to eat dinner and he finished at 11pm. The fist event is eating dinner, the second is bed time.



                If you say "by the time he finished dinner it was time for bed," the idea of past order isn't really there as much.



                The difference in meaning is minuscule. Using "by the time" just introduces another time phrase in the sentence. You could just as well say "when he..."






                share|improve this answer

























                  0












                  0








                  0







                  The past perfect is used to talk about the order of events in the past. Your sentence means that in the past, he finished dinner and that when he finished dinner it was time for bed. Maybe it took him 3 hours to eat dinner and he finished at 11pm. The fist event is eating dinner, the second is bed time.



                  If you say "by the time he finished dinner it was time for bed," the idea of past order isn't really there as much.



                  The difference in meaning is minuscule. Using "by the time" just introduces another time phrase in the sentence. You could just as well say "when he..."






                  share|improve this answer













                  The past perfect is used to talk about the order of events in the past. Your sentence means that in the past, he finished dinner and that when he finished dinner it was time for bed. Maybe it took him 3 hours to eat dinner and he finished at 11pm. The fist event is eating dinner, the second is bed time.



                  If you say "by the time he finished dinner it was time for bed," the idea of past order isn't really there as much.



                  The difference in meaning is minuscule. Using "by the time" just introduces another time phrase in the sentence. You could just as well say "when he..."







                  share|improve this answer












                  share|improve this answer



                  share|improve this answer










                  answered Aug 9 '15 at 6:55









                  michael_timofeevmichael_timofeev

                  5,80342247




                  5,80342247





















                      -1














                      Are you asking what is the difference in meaning between the two following sentences?



                      1)'By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed.



                      2) 'By the time he finished dinner, it had been time for bed'



                      There is a third possibility and that is to use the past perfect in both clauses.



                      3) By the time he had finished dinner, it had been time for bed.



                      There probably isn't much difference in meaning between any of them. If I was speaking about last night, I think I would use the first. But were I talking about something that happened a year ago, I think I would use the third.



                      I can't think of circumstances in which I would use the second. But this is a matter on which I feel very open to others' opinions.






                      share|improve this answer





























                        -1














                        Are you asking what is the difference in meaning between the two following sentences?



                        1)'By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed.



                        2) 'By the time he finished dinner, it had been time for bed'



                        There is a third possibility and that is to use the past perfect in both clauses.



                        3) By the time he had finished dinner, it had been time for bed.



                        There probably isn't much difference in meaning between any of them. If I was speaking about last night, I think I would use the first. But were I talking about something that happened a year ago, I think I would use the third.



                        I can't think of circumstances in which I would use the second. But this is a matter on which I feel very open to others' opinions.






                        share|improve this answer



























                          -1












                          -1








                          -1







                          Are you asking what is the difference in meaning between the two following sentences?



                          1)'By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed.



                          2) 'By the time he finished dinner, it had been time for bed'



                          There is a third possibility and that is to use the past perfect in both clauses.



                          3) By the time he had finished dinner, it had been time for bed.



                          There probably isn't much difference in meaning between any of them. If I was speaking about last night, I think I would use the first. But were I talking about something that happened a year ago, I think I would use the third.



                          I can't think of circumstances in which I would use the second. But this is a matter on which I feel very open to others' opinions.






                          share|improve this answer















                          Are you asking what is the difference in meaning between the two following sentences?



                          1)'By the time he had finished dinner, it was time for bed.



                          2) 'By the time he finished dinner, it had been time for bed'



                          There is a third possibility and that is to use the past perfect in both clauses.



                          3) By the time he had finished dinner, it had been time for bed.



                          There probably isn't much difference in meaning between any of them. If I was speaking about last night, I think I would use the first. But were I talking about something that happened a year ago, I think I would use the third.



                          I can't think of circumstances in which I would use the second. But this is a matter on which I feel very open to others' opinions.







                          share|improve this answer














                          share|improve this answer



                          share|improve this answer








                          edited Mar 13 '14 at 9:50

























                          answered Mar 13 '14 at 9:45









                          WS2WS2

                          52.4k28117252




                          52.4k28117252



























                              draft saved

                              draft discarded
















































                              Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!


                              • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                              But avoid …


                              • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                              • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                              To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                              draft saved


                              draft discarded














                              StackExchange.ready(
                              function ()
                              StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2fenglish.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f157177%2fusing-past-perfect-in-a-by-the-time-clause-instead-of-simple-past%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                              );

                              Post as a guest















                              Required, but never shown





















































                              Required, but never shown














                              Required, but never shown












                              Required, but never shown







                              Required, but never shown

































                              Required, but never shown














                              Required, but never shown












                              Required, but never shown







                              Required, but never shown







                              Popular posts from this blog

                              The Calvary Singular or Plural The 2019 Stack Overflow Developer Survey Results Are InAre collective nouns always plural, or are certain ones singular?Is “audience” singular or plural?“Wasn't” vs. “weren't” in a vernacular sentence“My last couple of years” — singular or plural?Is 'rest' singular or plural?Is “all but one” singular or plural?Whether to use the singular or plural form of basis?Singular and Plural for numbersIs there a plural form of teeth?performance: plural vs singular?singular or plural nouns?Singular and Plural

                              How does one intimidate enemies without having the capacity for violence?Ideas for how aliens would approach this fight?How to convey the scale of my humanoid without science or units?How does the “space drive” conserve momentum?Planet Vanishes - How does this affect the orbiting starships?How does a community of a Universe Simulator have the same language as its creator?How would US Presidential elections be affected if voters could choose the state their vote for President was counted in?How Does One Ensures the Immortality of Their ConsciousnessHow do I retain national independence while also having a one world government?How can Ganymede have an Earth-like gravity without us having realized it?How would one make a lion mount for a fantasy world?

                              Output visual diagram of pictureASCII-art logic gate diagramBooks on a ShelfDetermine the Dimensions of a Rotated RectangleDraw a Houndstooth PatternDraw and label an ASCII hexagonal gridGolf me an ASCII AlphabetASCII Jigsaw PuzzleOutput a pretty boxASCII-Art Venn DiagramASCII Exact Cover with Rectangles